Saturday, January 11, 2014

Mara and Rainbow Shorts

Here is an outfit I made for my Little Miss for Christmas. She decided just before Christmas (and luckily before I had started sewing for her) that her favorite colour was, once again, yellow. In the past twelve months it has been orange, red, yellow and pink. I had already earmarked the fabric I used for the shorts for her as rainbow would surely cover all bases.

For the top of this outfit I have made the Mara Blouse by compagnie m. I love the insert on this top it looks like it would be tricky and yet it was so easy!


I have used a yellow cotton lawn from Spotlight for the main part of the top and the insert is a white broderie anglais fabric I was lucky enough to find on the remnants table in Lincraft. This top was so cheap to make and yet so unique. With fabric purchased on sale the cost of the shirt matches or is less than the cheap imported t-shirts from department stores. The comparative cost does not factor in my time as sewing is my entertainment and relaxation. 


 I have included this photo as it was the clearest view of the sleeve option I used - it is called a butterfly sleeve. How cute is it?

The shorts I made using a pattern from an old Topkids magazine. (issue 51). Unfortunately this magazine and others like it are only available second hand (ebay anyone?).


I changed the orientation of the stripes to contrast the pockets. I also removed the pockets on the front and placed one on the back. And look! I almost matched one stripe :P
The Little Miss enjoys wearing these shorts as they are loose and she can move freely in them. 

This outfit is one of my favorites and I am not sure why. Maybe the colours or perhaps because I had such fun making everything. 

And here is one last look at the whole outfit...




No comments: