Saturday, January 4, 2014

Sweet Allie dress




This is the Sweet Allie Dress by Lily Bird Studio. How could I resist? The sleeve detail and the cute collar look much harder than they were I think. The pieces went together without a hitch and it looks exactly as the pattern picture does. This is always a plus.

I bought the pattern first then took Big Miss shopping for fabric. Her instructions were to find two coordinating prints for a dress. I should have been more specific. She kept picking out cotton drill. After a few choices I showed her the areas she could pick from. This resulted in these two fabrics. They are exactly her colours at the moment. For a while she was all pink all the time but thankfully she has moved beyond that right now. 

This pattern has the back sewn in two pieces to include what is referred to as a hanging loop. I have no idea how that would work so i just called it a back tab. But can you see how I matched up that print? I am so proud of that. 


I did not do as well matching the fronts. There is a button placket down the center that does break up the pattern but I think I could have made that nicer if I had thought about it. 

 The side panels and the sleeve cuffs are both in the coordinating print.


The only issue with this dress...the size. I made a 7 and as you can see in the pictures it does fit but it is a little tighter than the Big Miss would like and a little shorter than the Big Man likes. Luckily there was a big Spotlight sale on after Christmas so I went back and bought more. Unfortunately there was not much of the side panel fabric left so I am not sure if I will have enough to make another bigger, longer one. So I am avoiding starting it because I am not ready to find out for sure.

But this pattern is a definite recommend! I will keep my eye out for other lilybirdstudio patterns for the kids.